The Singapore Daily Tribute to Luciano Pavarotti
Luciano Pavarotti, 1935 – 2007
Luciano Pavarotti was one of the most legendary opera singer of his time. Born on 12 October 1935 on the outskirts of Modena Italy to a baker, he made his opera debut in 29 Apr 1961. In his international recital debut in 1973, he asked for a handkerchief to wipe his perspiration before the debut but was given white dinner napkin instead. The white napkin was a signature part of his act ever since. Pavarotti’s became an international celebrity when his rendition of Giacomo Pucinni’s aria Nessun Dorma from Turandot was picked by BBC as the theme song for the 1990 Italia FIFA World Cup. The aria achieved pop status and has to date remained his trademark song.
In the early morning of 6 September 2007, Pavarotti succumbed to pancreatic cancer that was diagnosed in July 2006. In an email statement, his manager wrote: “The Maestro fought a long, tough battle against the pancreatic cancer which eventually took his life. In fitting with the approach that characterised his life and work, he remained positive until finally succumbing to the last stages of his illness.”
Luciano Pavarotti is survived by his four daughters. He has one granddaughter.
Nessum Dorma, Torino 2006
– The Void Deck: Protest-O-Rama Siah!
– Ned Stark: The Permit, The Cycling Event and a Fourth University
NSF man caught with rifle
– DJ Lamb: Why wasn’t the Public informed about CPL Dave Teo’s act?
– Ian: NS – A Pause In Our Lives
– ST Video News: Interview with Dave Teo Ming’s ex girlfriend
– EDMW: Singapore’s pension reform plans spark rare protest
The people vs Regan Lee
– EDMW: MX 5 accident (recap) [GPGT]
– EDMW: 31 July 2007 Trial of Regan Lee (the driver of the Mazda test-drive fatal accident)
– Paced: Urban=Sunset Way & Suburb=Holland Village Soon?
– The Ignorantsoup: Does odex have a right to give olive branch to anime downloaders?
– Princess Sabrina: Odex’s sudden change of heart?
– EDMW: [xdeo] Spare the rod and spoil the industry?